Sunday 21 April 2013

The Value of Being a Good Person


Reading The Sunday Telegraph’s Sunday Style magazine , I was moved by Sally Obermeder’s story about stage 3 breast cancer. Whilst her amazing strength, determination and positivity are an inspiration to all of us, it was her comment about being a good person which struck a chord in me. In case you missed it, here it is:-
“Having this disease made me realise it’s not about how much you tick off your to-do list, it’s about whether or not you’re a good person.” 

These simple words of Sally’s are extremely powerful. Her focus is now on the quality of person she wants to be and not about all those achievements. I wondered how we can get this message out there to more people.

I’ve struggled with the concept of being a good person. I like to think on most days, I am pretty good and treat people as I wish to be treated. I am by no means perfect. For me, it will always be a continual process and reminding myself to look for the good not only in myself but others.
Sometimes I struggle to find the good in others. In fact, I believe there is no good in some people. You meet these people from time to time and they simply drag you down. They want to pick apart every single thing you do and even when you are being a good person, doing good things, they take every ounce of goodness that you had.

They give you a reason to hate and to never want to trust anyone again. They make you ask yourself the question, “What is the purpose of being good?”
I believe life is short. Too short. We won’t always agree with everyone and everything in our life. However, we shouldn’t hold on to bitterness. Bitterness blinds us from seeing clearly. Isn’t it easier to try to get along and at least be polite and civil to each other?

If we are not being a good person, then are we the opposite, a ‘bad’ person?
What do we gain from being ‘bad’ to others? Is it that we are harbouring emotions, so deep and so entrenched that we are unable to see anything for what it truly is?

I believe that emotion blinds us, it can take over and make us become people we don’t recognise. People we aren’t always proud of. Maybe even ‘bad’ people, even if only for a moment. A moment is sometimes all it takes.
Is there ever any good that comes from being ‘bad’? Ironic, isn’t it. Is it that in sucking the goodness from us, these people become satisfied?

Satisfied they have hurt others.
What is being a good person?

I think it’s being a mature adult. I think it’s learning to move on, however hard that may be. I think it’s trying to learn to accept each other for who they are. I think it’s remembering who you are and where you came from. I think it’s something that is built into your value set. I think it’s being kind to others. I think from being good, comes love. Love for yourself and love for others.
                                                            
My journey in being a good person is exactly that, a journey. There is no destination. It’s a continual process which requires a deep commitment. It also requires resilience, to never let those ‘bad’ people suck all my goodness away.

And sometimes I need those around me to remind me that being good is worth more to me than being ‘bad’.
I hope you are being good or at least, trying to be. It all comes down to what you want to remembered for in this world, your list of achievements or whether or not you’re a good person.

So tell me, what is your definition of being a good person?
Get on Facebook & Twitter and spread the word #goodperson
Jen xo

No comments:

Post a Comment